This new service is part of the UK government’s initiative to help people stay in work or return to work more quickly when they develop a health condition or impairment. The free Health for Work Adviceline for Small Business (http://www.health4work.nhs.uk/) helps small businesses to quickly and effectively address the issue of employee health, minimise the impact of staff illness, and provide essential support to staff with physical or mental health issues.
The adviceline provides expert support to help:
- get an employee back to work after long-term sickness
- manage the impact on the business when an employee takes time off work through ill health
- support an employee and benefit from their abilities if they are at work with health issues
- encourage and support an employee who is off work, yet wants to return and contribute to the business
- develop a working culture where work-related illness is less likely to occur
The adviceline is an 0800 number (0800 077 8844). If you are based in Scotland, you can obtain free advice at Healthy Working Lives (http://www.healthyworkinglives.com/) or their adviceline on 0800 019 2211. For businesses in Wales the Health at Work Adviceline Wales is on 0800 107 0900, web site http://www.healthyworkingwales.com/